Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Smith's Christmas Ride

Last night saw the call out for the Smiths Gully Christmas ride. Despite the shit weather yesterday morning, attendance was well beyond what I was expecting. We were one of the first cars to turn up and over the next 30 mins cars keep arriving. We ended up with 20 plus riders which is always sweet when you are carving up the trails.
The plan was a 2hr loop of riding with some big ass hills (I clocked up 800 metres of climbing) and sweet trails which were all nice and tacky from the rain earlier in the day. I was glad I went up past the gold mine and not over the water bar climb as even Jase looked fizzled after that climb.
I think everyone had a ball and there were not to many disappointments for us, with I believe no mechanicals, just a few geographically embarrassed riders.

Some sweet bikes were rolling around including Neils repainted Baum with some nice bling gold bits to highlight it. I was glad that there were other mad SS riders on the ride but I was in the red line from the word go and never really got my shit together. I should have ridden a bigger gear cause I kept spinning the gear out on the flats and slight inclines.
We made it back on dark and I was glad that I had a light for the last 5km as she got pretty dark. Ross (It think that is the owners name of Smiths Gully General Store) put on the grill for us and I know I consumed 2 burgers and a beer or two, Neil was 2.5 burgers and what ever else he could get his hands on.
So a big thank you to Mario for organising the masses for the turn out... if you knew and failed to show... too bad you missed a epic night out of fun and sweet tacky trails!
Happy trails!

No comments: