Thursday, October 28, 2010

Rotovegas report 2

So after a sleepless night from indigestion from Neils pasta sauce we awoke to a perfect blue bird day. This was going to be a great day for rolling the trails I thought as I began eating breakfast. After a few brews to get the body going we packed the car and headed out to the Mill site for the start of the 2010 SSWC. We made sure we were nice and early to get a good park and enjoy the sun and check out peoples costumes. Needless to say I am not one for dressing up so was just in some plain black kit.
There were many a costume some funny than others. I will let the photos do the talking.

Heather looked good and was a nice rabbit to chase through the single track


Damo from Cog... human disco ball with tunes rockn away!





So it was time for the race to start and we were ordered into a circle enclosure and asked to roll around it. It was packed with 950 odd racers, and until everyone was rolling the circle. No one had any idea which side the circle would drop away to let us start. I was lucky as when it came to start the side next to me fell away and I got the hole shot start. Needless to say it was perfect if you had the lungs to go with the likes of JHK but I did not and my only plan was to get as far up the trail before the masses picked me up.
Going into the first climb was a killer and my lungs were screaming as loud as the crowd, and I eventually got tangled in people who had stalled on the climb, so it was run time. After a bit of running and climbing we crested the climb and in the first switchback I got t-boned by some guy trying to take a short cut. I managed to stay upright unlike him and continued to sail down the descent.
I really didn't have the legs for the race as there was just under 500m of climbing per lap, 2 beer short cuts were a added bonus. I decided against the beer short cuts as my indigestion from the pepper pasta sauce was giving me some difficulties on the race course. My goal was to finish the race no matter what and just have fun.
The crowd was big in different parts of the course especially on the water crossing just before the finish of the lap and out on some of the more technical drops and roll throughs. The course on the whole was impressive with it containing 95% single track.... awesome!

Needless to say I was cooked 3/4 of the way through the race and needed water of which I found at the high point of the course. After that I was rolling the sweet trails and having fun. It was a festive mood out on the trails with plenty of people with big grins cheering each other on. The lack of racing or speed work I also contribute to my day in struggle town but in the end it was all about participation with like minded people.
I was glad to be done and rolled through the last beer short cut and got my hands on a cold fresh beer and joined the rest of the crew for stories of their race. We were all happy with how we went as the start was pure luck. How did I end up, we I have no idea, I guess mid field as many didn't do the second lap as they were enticed to spend time at the beer short cuts.
After a bit of recovery we packed the car and headed into town for a post race feed and then home for some more R&R. I will say the steak bagel at Zippy's cafe rocked my world after being shattered at the race.t
That night we headed in for the after party and checked out the male and female winners tattoos as this is what we were all racing for. Basically if you don't want the tattoo don't win!


The event big tent for the presentations!


With a bit of color the winners tattoo should be sweet as bro!

I did have some inspiration on my top tube, but even with that I was still in struggle town during the race!


So after some beers, and a little food, some catch up with friends at the after party we headed home. Tomorrow was another day, and we had some plans that involved playing tourist and fisherman.
More to come!

No comments: