Monday, April 21, 2008

BMC 50.... a saunter in the forrest



Yesterday saw me get it on and have a race. This was the first big race for the year and I was a bit nervous having done little in the way of training over the last month due to work and bike issues. With a 5 am (way to early) rise and shine call to jump in the car and pick up Mister Sister on the way to the race we made the hour drive up to Woodend. When we lobbed into the car park the thermometer was telling me a lovely 3 degrees outside (not so fun). So I was glad that I brought some winter kit to warm up in. Manged to get our race numbers after a bit of a fuck around and then located Shane and his Shane's Espresso Cart.
Man Shane was pumping out fine coffee for all to enjoy and at a good price. The cart looked awesome and at times he had a line 10 people deep wanting his fine silky espresso..... its addictive people, very addictive!
9am saw the start of the race which started in 2 waves. I snuck into the first group and was soon down the back due to being on a single speed and the fire road start. I would have to say that for me personally there was to much fire road but it was a great course. More climbing than I expected but I got through it eventually. The single track was sweet and fun to ride with nice flowing tight trail with the occasional log ride or ramp. The trail builders have got there shit together and have built some nice track.
So the lack of training popped its head out at the 40km mark when the body started to not enjoy the hills. I had to walk a few of the last hills that I rode the week before without incident. The best bit was no mechanical although, the rear end still needs some sorting with a bit of brake rub ( and no I will not get Mavic Cross Max 29 wheels unless Mavic gives em to me to test!.... always open to a offer!)
Now the thing I don't get is people who don't have enough shit to get them through a race. I had a guy in the midst of the single track ask me for some GU (power gel GU... you dirty people) and then another guy 2 minutes on asking people for water. You don't have to be rocket scientist to work out that you have to be self sufficient out in the forrest when racing. The race organisers had put in 3 stops for water. So many people stopped at these things. That was where I made up time and places on some people cause they would stop and sit down..... go figure?
So I managed to get to the finish line and managed a 2nd in the single speed division so I was stoked with that and it looks like I might have made the top 50 in the race but I still need to see the results to work that bit out. The booty of second place was some nice product from Crank Brothers (pedals and a multi tool).
To top off a day of racing we snuck by the Holgate brew house in Woodend for a quiet ale before sauntering home. Today the legs and back are sore and me well I am tired but I am left with a smile!
Trails!!

Mister Sister ready for a hit out


Shane's Espresso Cart...where the magic happens!


I will have this if I win tattslotto.... mmm a BMC cross bike


The gorilla with the number ready to go

No comments: