Sunday, February 15, 2009

ready, set..... go!


Smiling at the summit of Silverstar after a decent grind to get there!

OK, I am almost ready for the onslaught of the Silverstar 75 ski loppet tomorrow. I am in the solo 30km class which will test me both mentally and physically. I have had some descent days of skiing this week with 2 trips over the summit of Silverstar mountain. I have had trouble adjusting to the altitude, but have tried to keep the fluids up, and have found it colder this time than other trips here. Whilst only at 1500 - 1850 metres I have struggled to get the engine ticking over consistently.
Today was a rest day so hopefully tomorrow I can make it through the distance comfortably. This will be a training run on not much training! but that aim is to get fit for the coming year.
Last night saw us road trip to the next town Kelowna and watch the WHL team called the Rockets play a hard game of ice hokey against the Vancouver Giants. The home team came out on top, much to the delight of the Kelowna crowd. We had seats in the restaurant which had a all you can eat smorgasbord. I had 3 odd trips plus cake through the various sections of food and washed it down with some Okanagan Spring Pale Ale. There were a few fights and some massive body checking during the game which brought a smile to my dial. It was a great night but a bit of a dodgy drive home in the dark as there are few street lights on the highway or the mountain road making it hard to follow in places.
So time for some dinner and bed.
Happy trails!


Me trying to be a wax tech for tomorrows race.... please Nordic Gods smile on the wax choice!

No comments: