Thursday, February 19, 2009

XC ski races = pain


Cruising into the start finish area asking myself what I was doing!

OK I had reservations on doing the race from the first few days of being back on the skis. As time progressed I felt better but was struggling at times and was far from my previous fitness when it comes time to do the Birke back home. At the last minute I entered the 30km solo race and thought what the heck.


Me heading out for another lap - 3 to go!!

I awoke to find the weather a nice -9 and puking snow. This is not my most favourable conditions as new snow equals soft trail which means it will be slow and I will sink cause of my weight.
I lined up with about 150 other competitors and at 10am set off for a nice 4 laps of a 7.5 km circuit. As time went on I was made aware of my non existent fitness that I thought I had. At least I had Tam heckling me and a few people along the way who new me to give me some encouraging words, including the commentator who pumped me up each lap.
I though I wouldn't get the distance done as it was hurting alot on lap three but what the heck. So in under three hours I managed to get it done after being passed by some of the Okanagan's best XC skiers like I was standing still. I am still waiting for results and some photos of the start but am happy that I have done it and will be now focusing on the rest of the ski season at home to do some racing leading up to the Hoppet.
Happy trails or tracks!


The leaders coming through the start finish area, as you can see she was snowing bigtime!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

well done mate! keep living the dream!