Sunday, April 26, 2009

sacred dawn



Yesterday is one of the most important dates for some Australians including myself. I guess since being a former member of the Defence Force I take great pride in attending a dawn service, to recognise those that have paid the ultimate price for serving their country. Since receiving recognition for my service with the presentation of the Australian Defence Medal I feel more compelled to attend the Dawn Service on ANZAC day. I was amazed at the turn out at the local service in Ringwood at the clock tower given the less than appealing weather, not a spare place to be found. Next year I will make the effort to attend the Dawn Service at the Shrine in Melburn.
Post the early morning rise and shine we attended the ANZAC Day match at the MCG with a group from work. We kicked off the afternoon by having a few beers and a BBQ in the Fitzroy Gardens. The service a the MCG is amazing, it is rare to get that many people (95000+) together to be silent for the last post and reveille.
It was a great way to spend the afternoon.
Lest We Forget

No comments: