Sunday, April 5, 2009

tree ho

Headed out to Smiths today to try and simulate the race in a couple of week. Took Jase's Garmin which I realise I cant work properly (well not today anyway) and was trying a new tyre set up and a big gear. The tyres are the 2.2 Mountain Kings more like a 2.0 and were sticky. At times I could feel the aggressive tread want to grab the front wheel and send it sideways. I was running a big gear of 34/18. Could ride it on the most but had a few points where I was regretting it. I need to get a bigger gear happening and the last couple of Fatties rides have shown my weakness since riding smaller gears. Further more there is plenty of fire road in the BMC and I want the ability to smash it along those sections rather than spin thy arse off.
The climb up Ridge Rd today made me regret every inch, but at least the next trail was worth it down the front of the dam. I entered the trail and just cruised along, until I had a pedal strike on a rock that threw me forward onto the bars and I steered it straight into a fuckn tree. A large crack was echoed through the forest and I was laying strewn on the ground looking at the sky. I got up after inspecting that all four limbs worked, noted the my shoulder had contacted the tree but the majority of the impact was taken by the bars (not to sure looking at my shoulder now). After a bit of trail side bar straighten I took off again.
Why is it after a fall your intentions go out the window and you feel so shit?
I climbed back up to Rob Roy and over towards the car parked at the store giving a second loop a miss. I need to get out in the next couple of days to see if I can go the distance (which I know I can but I want to use a big gear). I will have to see how the shoulder pulls up tomorrow... here's to anti inflammatories, ice/deep heat and a few pain killers!
The circuit has its fair share of climbing, next time I will do it in reverse which should take some of the sting out of it on such a big gear.
Happy trails!

Check out these images of a guys burnt orange 36er off mtbr.com ..... being a fan of the 29er I can see the benefits but climbing would be a nightmare. Hey can give it a decent huck too judging by the photo's.





No comments: