Wednesday, May 20, 2009

autum days

Working flexible hours means that sometimes it can be fun with late starts enabling me to get in a ride as some much needed ying and yang to keep me sane. Yesterday was to be that, but it started out wrong, very wrong.
I had a sleep in and woke up to let the dog out to get the paper (its the high light of her day to fetch the paper) and she took forever to find it and was running up and down the hill looking for it. I slunk down in the slippers only to agree with the confused look on the dogs face that in fact there was no paper. I have been getting the paper delivered daily with out incident for 10 years to this address with out any issues until the news agents swapped owners recently. The paper has not been delivered 4 times in the last six weeks. In my books a very uncool thing.
Now I am a no nonsense type of guy and you are only as good as your word or your actions. I saw red and was pissed so I got in the car and drove up to get the paper from the newsagent (note that dog number 2 was wrapped at a trip in the car!) with out argument. I arrive the the shop to find a queue of 5 people all equally frustrated as their various transactions are not being well received. The simpletons that have taken ownership of the news agents couldn't even get a lotto ticket checked for customers in front of me.
My turn came and I explained that my paper had not been delivered and that I was taking the one in my hand, however I was asked for money to pay for it. I think the look on my face said enough and was not asked again for a financial transaction. Further I added that this was the 4th time in as many weeks that I had no paper delivery. I was meet with no sympathy and I cracked back with some stern words along the lines of "I pay, you deliver paper and everyone is happy. I pay, you not deliver, we got a problem" and indicated that it would be that last time that the paper is not delivered.
When my name was being added to the list of non deliveries I noted that I was the 3rd in my street which ain't a good look. It should be pretty easy to match street number to paper type as there is only 3 types of paper delivered.
After arriving home with my paper, I realised the coffee beans were out so no morning coffee..... this day was turning ugly!
Any way cause I was forced to have a late start at work due to some meetings I figured it was worth a pedal in. Sunny day, no wind, warm and too good to miss out on a pedal. I guessed it was worth heading via the coffee shop Romeo's for some beans for the home machine and a coffee or 2 on the way. I enjoyed the pedal in as I cruised along stopping once to adjust the seat height (bloody phantom mechanic in the shed has been fooling with bike). I realised I havent been on the roady for a few weeks as i mainly been attending dirt related rides. I was feeling great, just like Lance dancing on the pedals!
Once at Romeo's I got 2 brews on the house for buying the beans and read the paper. Post this I continued up Doncaster Rd enjoying the last bit of sunshine before winter gloom when this tool in his suit and 7 series BMW chopped me missing me by inches. Lucky for me he missed unlucky for him, he caught the next red light. I cruised up to the window and was happy to explain he fuck ass driving skills were going to get him a smack and that his 7 series was a excuse for his small genitals that his wife in the passenger seat could confirm! He tried to look cool but the beady sweat on his forehead and red face told me otherwise.
Anyway some times life's little pleasures are interrupted by fools..... seemed to me to come all in the same glorious morning.
Tonite is the Fatties ride where like always my arse will be handed to me on a platter of smash o rama!
Happy trails

1 comment:

Matt said...

Ok that will be the last time I knick your paper ;)