Sunday, October 25, 2009

Surfcoast 3hr



Great little event was held yesterday down near Anglesea. The Surfcoast has been running for a couple of years and is a event I have now penciled into my plans for years to come. Fun flowing single track and a well thought out rider friendly course greets riders at this event.
Gav and I headed down for what was our 2nd year of riding the 3 hour event. Last year was a little nasty with some shocking heat and flies but yesterday was perfect weather and no flies. We were in the single speed division and thought we would have some competition but only spotted 2 other single speeds at the whole event. Bit of a shame as it is a single speed friendly course, and we had a blast riding it rigid (one fire road descent was a little unfriendly but we got thorough it... unlike some) and single. After the dust had settled a few laps into the race it was a brilliant ride. The dust was thick in places and a few corners were sandy just to test the handling skills. As it would happen we ran 1st and 2nd respectively.... good for us! Always nice to get some prizes.


Me sucking it up running 2nd in Single speed and 29th overall in the 3hr

There were some less than impressive bike handling skills demonstrated in the first lap that caught Gav and me out with some exits off the trail to miss people laid out on the ground. Not to mention the dude who forgot to duck...... hope you are okay but needing the meat wagon with flashing lights is not a great way to end the night.
Few tips should be handed out to those who wanted to criticise the single speed. The word is that if I am riding as fast as you or faster with out a fancy carbon dual suspension geared bike pull ya head in and be nice. Sure I might look like Rich Grant but I bite harder particularly if you want to make out that I am a fat bastard (you know who you are!) you got to expect some words. I loved the heckler from the sidelines in the Top Gear Cycles tent..... seems I never saw you out there.... shame! Why not give it a go, you might find you like it, and you will live the simple single life.


Gav on his way to winning the Single speed class and finishing in a respectable 15th overall in the 3hr

Anyway off to the Gravity 12hr next..... cant wait for the little side trips I have planned.... hope they come together.
Happy trails!

3 comments:

Mister Sister said...

Nice work boys, sounds like a worthwhile day out! Today I'm going to ride the MTB and not change gears at all in homage to your results.

neil said...

Oh man, what's with people hating on SS? I heard Ryan Moody (5th solo, 6 hour) copped a bit of flack as well.

Unless you were going out of your way to tell them you are/were riding SS, then it shouldn't matter what bike you're on.

Mak said...

Needless to say Neil I wont be taking any crap at the next race..... People just need to pull there heads in, and drink some concrete and harden the f@#k up and give it a go.
I take my hat off to Ryan as he was simply smashing it at the Surfcoast 6hr
. Regardless of what we are riding we are all there racing ourselves and having fun..... nuff said!