Thursday, November 19, 2009

getting hot, headcolds suck

Had an easy Monday with the fur children doing a few laps of the hill on foot trying to blow the cold out of my head. No bike riding as I was blocked up and gurgling away like a drowning victim. I decided that Tuesday was going to be a cruise down to the Flat Hill Crits and see if I could really get the engine going.
The decision to drive was made (should have ridden down) as I had not ridden for a week and was not sure how the body would like it. I ended up getting to Burke Rd early and went towards Heidelberg along the single track spinning out the legs... feeling not to shabby.
I lined up for the race and lasted all of 5 laps before succumbing to the inability to breath due to fits of coughing from the dust. Bruce had put in a new piece of trail that was fun but the course needs to be a little longer to give you a chance against the geared folk.... there are rumours that there will be a extension, or re location at some stage to change it up a little.
About the time I pulled the pin I saw Neil looking at me as he was entering the single track. He muttered something about me being okay and then there was a god almighty crash. He had managed to roll his front tyre and ended up over the bars 10 odd meters from his bike. I was wondering what the fuck he had done as was he. That was our night over, well mine anyway, Neil continued on ridding and came apart again.
Yesterday saw me head out for a loop of the bergs behind where I live. I headed out on some familiar blacktop for which I have ignored for a few years. Nothing like riding quite back country roads with little traffic. I ended up with 2.5 hrs of sweet rolling hills (more like hard breathless climbing) around the back of Kangaroo Ground and Hurstbridge and no traffic lights. She was hot and sunny but it was great being out on the road bike. I was totally rooted by the time I got home but it is what the doctor ordered. Going to have to keep on getting out on that loop as it is a winner.
Today off to the gym for a bit of strength work and then off to drop off my forks for some love!
Happy trails!

No comments: