Monday, August 23, 2010

commitment

The weekend saw me get out for some last minute preparation for next weekends Australian Birke. The boss and I had a perfect ski on Saturday on some fresh trails, some snow still falling out of the sky. Conditions were close to perfect, the only thing missing would have been some sunshine. We cruised the trails (well I did, Tam was working a bit harder than me) and got in some solid kilometers. It was probably for me the best snow of the season.
Yesterday I got up nice and early and got some serious kilometers in with some decent hill repeats in to keep me honest and the lungs burning. I got the chance to get out on Jubilee which I had not done since before the fires of 2009. Nice to be out on one of my favourite trails in the world, when its good snow its awesome to motor on with nice flowing trail, a real pleasure to ski on. Grooming has been topnotch of late and really I cant complain with the ability to ski this late in the season at Lake, generally the last few winters have not been good for the area. I might get back up tomorrow for a classic session as I have no plans to keep me close to home.
I forgot to take the camera on Saturday, but managed to remember it yesterday. Managed to grab a few shots and a little bit of video which I hope I can string together with other pieces from the Hoppet and Birke up at Falls Creek later in the week.


Top of Echo Flat trail just before the intersection of Panorama and Royston


Looking into the start of Jubilee from the Camp


The Camp from Echo Flat trail

Plans for this weeks race are simple..... survive as comfortably as I can.
I have had to tell myself to keep the brakes on and not get carried away and just race myself as I am not as fit as previous years and need to enjoy being out there.
Hopefully this year I can get to the night sprints and watch the locals race internationals over the night sprint course up at Falls under lights.
Will update from up at Falls Creek later in the week!
Happy trails

No comments: