Sunday, December 19, 2010

times flying by

We have entered that time warp part of the year where the days blow by, seemed like only yesterday it was the start of December. The weather has been a fair killer for bike time so far this spring/ simmer. Many people are complaining about the amount of rain as the trails are often too wet to get out. I must admit you get tired of washing bikes only to send em out again to get muddy.
I have been busy around the house having a spring clean out in preparation for our renovations in 2011. It has meant many meetings thus limiting the bike time even more.
The commute has kept me on the bike and I have been lucky as I have missed the rain somehow as the sun comes out just in time to head home from work.
I visited Mooter at home this week to get him to help with a cable change on the road bike. He has the ultimate home repair station with more Park tools than most shops. It is amazing how well the bike runs after some love. Winter took its toll on the road bike and it still needs some more drive train love with new chain rings and chain. I am amazed that after many years of changing the chain when the chain checker shows initial wear has enabled me to keep on running the original cassette.

The last few days I have been thinking about my top 5 bike events of 2011

1. Becoming a father - whilst slightly challenging at times it has been a whirlwind of fun & joy. I have even had the pleasure of introducing her to the bike by towing her in the Chariot behind the geared 29er.
2. SSWC 20210 in NZ. 5 days of MTB heaven rocking awesome trails with awesome like minded people. We got to see the best NZ had to offer and I will make every effort to take 2 wheels back to Rotorua in the future. The race was awesome, I didn't have the best day out there but it was so much fun, I am still smiling 2 months later.
3. 2010 Road World Champs in Geelong was awesome. Sure I took a mental health day to get on down with 100,000 close friends to watch the Men's Road Race on the Sunday. I was lucky to have some accommodation provided to me in the middle of Geelong and get taken out for a roll of the local roads with the local bunch from Barwon Heads with Ryan Moody. Great day and potentially the only Worlds I will get to see live unless I travel to Europe.
4. Rolling local trails with mates. I am blessed that I can roll trails from my door and that bikes and cycling in general keeps me in contact with a great group of people from varied backgrounds. It does make it easier when your wife understands the importance of keeping contact with mates and letting you get out there.
5. Discovering that a new 10 speed XT groupset really does roll well on big wheels, and I can put it together and get it working.
My favorite clip for the year goes to the Coastal Crew for this little gem!


Kranked 8 Revolve: Coastal Crew >>


So as I relive the events of 2010 I am putting together my hopes for 2011. Whilst nothing is set in stone my first big day out will be the Alpine Classic in 4 weeks time. Still getting the body to agree with that, however it is all coming together slowly.
Looking forward to Christmas morning and catching up with the Annual Christmas ride crew. Might be small in numbers but thick in quality people!
Anyway happy festive season!

No comments: