Thursday, June 26, 2008

steel is real



Headed out last night for a pedal with Gav and the Fatties ride. This ride has been a regular gig for as long as I can remember and at one stage I was a regular attendee but of recent years I have only been out once or twice. Even despite the weather which was windy and a little wet on the trail in places the ride pulled a crowd of about 20 - 30 riders including some of Australia's best 24hr riders. I was told it was going to be a light spin out towards Westerfolds.... man I was chasing from the gun despite having changed my gear for the occasion and at one stage getting lost as I missed a turn. These blokes can ride a bike and it was a steep learning curve from the start. It was fun to be out riding with a large group and Wednsday nights are the night to be out on the Yarra Trails judging by the amount of other riders we passed. Gav and I turned back a little early cause I was getting smashed and he was on a new bike and was feeling it out. We did the turn around with John Claxton who was just turning his legs over, a bit of active rest he said...... but still bloody flying! It was good to shoot the shit with Claxton cause he is a simple, speaks his mind type of guy, which I like cause its what you see is what you get. He has proven to me that life doesn't end when you have kids and that anytime is a good time for training with his 330 am jaunts up Mt D. He is off to the 24hr worlds in a couple of weeks and I wish him the best of luck.
Gav managed to snap his Jamis frame a last week and with a bit of smooth talking got himself one of the Jamis Dragon Elite frames. Nice 853 Reynolds tubing that has been turned into a nice looking frame. Steel is real as they say and I am a fan of steel having a steel cross frame that has seen the test of time. With a new fork and some new drive bits yet to be applied, this bike when finished is a worthy XC ride. Big guys are suited to steel and Gav was happy with how supple the frame was in places where his other aluminium frame was not.
Been a good week for me with a couple of rides under the belt and I am off to do some roller skiing and get my shit started for the coming snow!
Trails!!!


Not a bad looking frame and build!

No comments: