Monday, June 2, 2008

Chase the Sun 2



Well it has been and gone. For something different I decided to to a solo race. Whilst knowing I could do it mentally the body had other ideas. The quads gave up pushing the single speed gear up the hills and rendered me with cramps every time I climbed. So after a little after 4 hrs I pulled the pin on the 6hr race. I have decided that mountain bike racing is a cruel sadistic sport.... I guess this is what attracts people cause it is so hard and you can make it harder. I guess next time more bike time leading up to a race would put me in a better position to get through the race solo. Today I feel like I have gone 10 rounds in a boxing ring. Thank god for the iPod that keep my mind busy whilst pedaling around and saving me from mental meltdown.
A massive turn out for the 2nd Chase the Sun. The start was gridlock heading into the single track and starting at the back of the field was a good idea bar this cause it forced me not to race. The weather was a nice first day of winter fog which didn't lift till quite late in the race. the single track was predictable but rough in spots which really does add to the pain today.
Hats off to one crazy guy who was riding solo on a uni cycle.... gave me a moment or two of humour passing him. Plenty of nice bikes out there including this beauty..... Lynskey Ti 26 inch single speed with XT/ XTR bits and pieces.



I also spotted my fair share of full carbon GT's with a full XTR set up. Looked cool and super light. A few 29ers but not many and a spattering of single speeds including one guy on a cross bike smashing out the laps.
Anyway I am going back to bed.



Big Mak's self service centre

No comments: