Friday, August 15, 2008

Danger Will Robinson



Not often do I think about what I am doing when doing it and the related risks. Yesterday however I did whilst on my morning ski. Now with the bonanza of recent snow fall at Lake I have been taking as much time to ski as I can. The weather has remained cool and with little wind with regular top ups. Yesterday I was astounded at the amount of snow still in the trees and was admiring the ability of the gum trees to flex with the weight of the snow.
That was until I was skiing down the trail and heard the familiar sound of snow falling and then a god all mighty cracking of timber. The said falling piece of timber landed about 5 metres in front of me. Now not too close however, I did weigh up that if I got c*%ted by this tree it might be a bit of a wait to be discovered and retrieved. Not to disturbed at this stage I continued my training session and when doing a second loop of a trail I found the top of a tree blocking the trail. This started to concern me as I had already been along this trail only 15 mins before.
As I headed out on a lap of another trail I witnessed a large piece of timber falling to the ground and let me tell you that the sound of timber shattering near you when you are underneath the tree canopy takes a year off your life and adds more grey hairs to your head.
I decided that in the interest of my own personal safety that I head back to the car. Three times a charm.
When I arrived back at the car park, the ski patrol had roped off a large area of the trail head as there was a rather large branch hanging from a tree ready to crush any unsuspecting skier.
Whilst getting changed another tree branch dropped and just missed some school kids. Lucky!
Racing tomorrow so I will have to see what the tank has to offer!
Trails

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nothing will hurt that thick head anyway! either that or get stronger trees! miss ya mate. shane