Sunday, August 31, 2008

Hoppet week


The 2008 Kanagroo Hoppet start


Tim and me clowning around for the camera at Washbed Creek on the way out to Wallace's

Got back today from my last week of fantastic skiing at Falls Creek. Another perfect week with heaps of snow and the best weather you could ask for. It was real spring weather with plenty of sun and next to no wind.
I started the week off with a pedal with the lads on Tuesday before heading to Falls. Did the usual Yarra trails and was happy to stretch the legs. Next stop was Falls Creek.
We stayed in Bright which I wont do next year as the drive each day got on my nerves with crossing the Gap each day. Next year it will be Mt Beauty or Falls itself. I cant complain about the accommodation as it was all good.
Had a decent ski with Tam on Wednesday with a push out and up part of the Paralyser which opened up the lungs. This is a climb of around 2.5 -3 kms I think and is used in the race. We only went half way up as we had been in the car all day and had to get back down the hill to our accommodation.
Thursday saw me hook up with a old friend from cycling and head out for a decent 20km ski in the morning. Tim was recovering from a nasty fall from the bike a few weeks ago and said he wasn't in any shape to race on Saturday. I beg to differ as he was hurting me a little on the hills. Excellent day with zero wind and clear skies. With us laughing a lot and catching up on the news of the last 12 months.
Friday was a light classic ski to loosen up the body and the rest of the time was spent chillin at the bakery in Mt Beauty and waxing the skis for the race. Friday night I ended up with a dose of the shits and cant for the life of me trace it back to anything I ate.
So after spending a night up to the toilet and with broken sleep I awoke feeling a little under the weather. I had to force myself to eat and get some fluids happening. After a sluggish drive up to the race start (managed to get one of the last car parks) we were greeted to a furious wind and the cloud starting to roll in. Wind was going to be a issue up the top of the course as it is open with little cover.
It was amazing to see 1000+ people milling around to race in the various distances of 42, 21, or 7 km's. People travel from all corners of the world to race the Australian section of the World Loppet races. Many countries were represented from different parts of Europe, US/ Canada, Japan, and NZ. The hoppet went first and then it was my turn to line up in the Birkebeiner. Starting in the second grid I was happy with my start but as usual there are all the nutters who have a massive hit out and then fade in the first 5km. Plenty of falls and a couple of broken poles but I got through with out any real issues (just the usual spray of abuse and a bit of physical jostling). It took the first 5 km's to shake out the group, but I purposely took it easy for the start cause my stomach was having a few issues with physical activity. However once I got to the climb of the paralyser (about 10 km in) I settled in to a nice rhythm and stopped once as I though I was going to vomit. The rest of the race was perfect (proof that the training and all the time spent driving to Lake to train had paid off!) just that I was under the weather and the wind was howling on the top sections of the course. The descent back down of the high plain on Blade runner was awesome and I had a ball rocketing past people on the descent. I was glad to cross the line in 52nd position as I was hoping for a top 50 finish this year and despite being crook I managed to finish only 15 secs out of the top 50.
There is always next year!

Perfect trail coming back from Washbed creek


Tam and Mum after the race


The boss and me all smiles after our finishes


Racers getting ready for the start dumping the gear on the trail side

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.cheapcanadagooseparkas.ca]canada goose down jackets sale[/url] She even enrolls in the same high school as him! After a certain incident, Renji finds out just how much Ayumu loves him, and that she determined to help him with his clothing line, [BanDit]. [url=http://www.busesbitermi.com]dr dre beats cheap[/url] Kuxybw
[url=http://www.christianlouboutindiscountsale.co.uk]christian louboutin outlet uk[/url] [url=http://www.ogrelarp.com]Canada Goose Jacken[/url] Jnkolc [url=http://www.pandorajewelryukonsale.co.uk]pandora bracelet charms[/url]