Sunday, September 14, 2008

grounded

Wind. Its a cyclists worst and best friend rolled into one. The last few days have seen Melburn battered by gale force wind. I don't mind some wind but the gale the last few days has been a joke.
I took the liberty of heading out to Lysterfeild yesterday to get a a ride in and have some fun on trails I know well. The loops were busy with other riders. I ran in too Garreon Buckland who is a coach for Vic and National level racers some of whom have gone on to bigger and better things such as Trent Lowe. He was out with the VIS development programme and we said the quick hello as we passed. On my second lap I came across the group again and Garron stopped me and asked if I could double back with him cause one of his girls was missing with a suspected injured back from a fall. We searched the trail for around half an hour and came across his squad member laying supine next to the trail in tears.
Now 16 year old girls lying supine on the trail side would surely grab your attention but multiple people had rolled past her without giving her a second thought. I was shocked that other riders did not offer her aid.... what is going on with people! Seems that everyone is only in the mix for themselves. At the end of the day stop and check people are all right because one day it might be you needing some help!
Bek's injury seemed to be more soft tissue and she could get to her feet with assistance and could hobble out.
Luckily we were around 600 metres from where I had parked the car so with Garron walking her I had the job of getting the bikes out of the trail system. A guy came along who worked out something was a miss and offered to push the third bike which was a great relief.
I drove Bek back around the park to her waiting mother who was relieved to see her and rather appreciative of my assistance as was Garron. So I did not get the ride I was hoping for yesterday. I am hoping to get out on the skinny tires today but will wait and see what the wind does. I am not one for windy conditions on busy roads cause I don't want to get blown into traffic.
The work shop was rearranged yesterday and is in the process of being cleaned up for the coming months of bike maintenance. I did note that a few families of spiders had moved into the various dark corners of the shed. The ski's will be getting a covering of travel wax until mid summer when they come out for preparation for a overseas racing trip...... more news on that later!
The roller board is almost finished (I'm no carpenter and after playin with timber and tools can state that I will not be looking for a job on a building site) and I can confirm that this device was surely invented in the dark ages and will be the source of pain in the coming months to aid with the strengthening of my upper body.
Til next time....Happy trails

No comments: