Monday, January 5, 2009

fresh single track


I have been exploring this week new trail options. These options are close to home and have not had the trail smashed by to many riders. The disappointment of rutted out trails and the same loops have force me searching for some new fresh trail to keep up the interest.
I accepted the offer too ride new trail from Brendan who was also throwing in dinner which was hard to refuse. We hooked up with Gav and headed out for a 2hr plus loop which was fun and it had all you could want.
Greeted with a warm sunny arvo we cruised out through the Rob Roy area and down some long fun brake eating descents (my rotors were red hot and hissing when I tested them with some water!) and into a area searching for some new single track. I had been told by Ewen, who had built my frame about this section of new trail that had been open up by locals.
After a brief search we were greeted some sweet new trail. It weaved the contour through some great open timber country and had enough to keep you interested and keen to see what was around the next corner. It was easy to ride on the single speed despite the occasional steep pinch. We popped out on a road and managed to find a awesome descent which had nice twisting single track care of local horse riders. Got to love trails made by horse riders as they always can be found in my local area and provide you with great link trail.
After a bit of a detour we discovered the trail we wanted and headed back toward where the cars were parked. We were greeted with more excellent trail, some of which Gav and I rode 12 months ago. The trail has changed little in this time which shows it relative hidden status that only locals know about and rarely ridden. This area will be revisited many times in the coming months by me as I think the area has a lot to offer.



Having a break on the new trail..... smiles all round and bike swapping by these two. By the end we had Brendan convinced on the 29er SS thing



Me contemplating the next move as I watch Gav and Brendan carve up a sweeping berm section of trail that we rode 3-4 times. Will post some video when I get it downloaded.



The above sign adorns the wall and door of a great mechanic and great little shop called Shifter Bikes. Dan Hale, for those of you who don't know him, is a master on the tools, builds some nice wheels ( I can testify to this as I ride them on the 29er) and the best person for all round single speed advice. He has many a contact when sourcing parts for your single speed, for retro fit outs of old roadies and high end street fixxies. I swung by today for a new chain, some other bits and pieces and to shoot the shit. He dropped in my Phil Wood BB and rustled up some matching Big Cheese grips and a nice new Izumi chain. Well worth a visit!
Next days off will see me checking some other trails close to home!
Happy trails!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very rich and interesting articles, good BLOG!
fishing net