Thursday, January 7, 2010

keep moving

Busy days at work, busy days at home. It has been a quick start to the new year. I am back in the gym this week and rediscovering the various muscles that have been under used in the last few weeks giving me a wake up call. I have commuted a few days this week and am enjoying the early morning rides into work and have pretty much found a peaceful ride home via the bike path which is a good way to end a hectic day as well as not get smashed by a car.
Speaking of which Gav was cleaned up this week by a car out training with a crew from the Fatties. Needless to say the bike is a write off, but he is just bruised. The other guy brought down in the same accident is ok but his leg is a bit messed up. Early morning sun and lack of visibility on the drivers behalf is behind it. Drivers look out and pay attention!. At least no one was seriously injured.
I ventured out on Sunday with a crew led by Mario and suffered immensely from the word go. I rode a stupid gear selection for Smiths Gully and suffered a pinch flat on the Calodonian trail. My form is some what lacking and caught up with me in a rather large way Sunday. So much so I packed it in early and went home with the tail between my legs.
I have decided that a new project is in order. I am in search of a steel 29er frame (most likely a Karate Monkey) that is with in a strict budget so I can up the XT groupset, wheels and 29er Reba fork I have in the shed. I have almost everything and will surf the net to find the best deal I can. With a child coming into my life soon the budget is going to tighten up so deals, and soul selling is on the cards. I have discovered that at times I really need a few gears to hang with the faster crews I ride with off road. As much as I love my SS, my motor just cant come to the party all the time. So watch this space for a new project in the coming months.
With the week almost over my attention turns to the MTB for some decent riding this weekend to get the body sorted for the Otway. If it is not to hot tomorrow I am heading out on the trails after work for some much needed quality trail time. I am thinking that I will miss the road nationals this weekend as I have no one to feed, the first time in 5 years so I figure some extra trail time might be benificial. I will decide it Saturday depending on the weather.
I have seen the worst that humanity has to offer this week at the end of a meat clever..... pretty fucked what one human can do to another! Sad really that you could hurt some one so bad.
On that note get out there and have some fun....
Happy trails

No comments: