Sunday, January 24, 2010

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Well I have made a decision, not with out some hours racking my brain. I am going to give up my Otway entry, as my back is totally fucked. This is the final blow in my quest to compete in the Otway as with limited time left to train I am going to be well underdone for the race so the option of selling on my entry has been made.
I headed out yesterday and today and despite a bike with gears was in struggle town. I cant climb without serious discomfort through my glutes and lower back and it feels like Satan himself is pulling with both hands on my spine.
I realise that the quote is quite fitting as pain is almost expected however I am not up for suffering with the chance of permanent injury. I am going to refocus and repair myself and I think that the Aussie Marathon Champs will be a goer instead. I will get my back right and refocus the training for a new objective.
A big influence in this decision was the expected birth of our first child and we are beginning to get a bit edgy about it. We are looking forward to it however the last place we need it to occur is during the race with me un-contactable or in the car either on the way down or back from Apollo Bay. So there we go the decision is made.
No back to some R&R, stretching and watching the final stage of the Tour Down Under.

1 comment:

neil said...

I don't know what you're talking about. My foam roller and I get on famously. Seriously, I can't wait to spend more time with it!*

* It's possible this whole statement is a complete and utter lie.