Friday, January 22, 2010

Project Karate Monkey



Done, its been quick but it is finished! Thanks to the help from the LBS and some overseas mail order this baby is done and dusted.
The last of the parts turned up this week with a King headset and some Avid Elixir CR brakes which have moved to the Gellie SS so that the Chumbucket could get the Juicy 5's. So the final build at this stage is;

Surly Karate Monkey 22inch frame in Chumbucket red
Rockshox Reba fork
King classic black headset
Avid Juicy 5 185 front/ 160 back
XT drive chain
DT Swiss rims
Easton seatpost
Specialized Captain tyres

90 % of this bike was in the shed in parts so its been easy on the wallet to some extent. Hopefully tomorrow will be test day out at Smiths.
I managed to strain the left side of my lumber spine this week at the gym doing squats. Needless to say I had been sceptical about doing squats and I managed to really give my back a decent strain. I hit the osteopath for a tune up and I am on the way to repair. Today is the best it has been for a couple of days partly thanx to Mr Voltaren Rapid.
A bit of stretching today and all should be sweet for a gentle roll tomorrow with Gav. There has been some crazy talk of a big loop on the road bikes with Matt and Jase on Monday. Hills will no doubt be involved and my arse will be firmly handed to me on a platter. Will have to see how I pull up on Sunday.
I am also sceptical now about the Otway as it draws nearer. Mainly due to some piss poor performance, injury and the fact that I am expecting my first child with the Boss somewhere around that week. I will continue to work and chip away at the goals and review it all on weekly basis. If the Otway is not possible then it will have to be the Marathon Champs instead.
Get out and enjoy the sun!
Happy trails!

No comments: