Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Winter express

Bloody fresh today outside (I did notice this whilst the dog grabbed the paper from the street), glad I have the day off from work and didn't have to pedal to work. It is much warmer from inside the house than out on a bike. You can feel winter has truly arrived today, Frosty is blowing the cool wet weather our way.
I am looking forward to some ski time in the next few weeks if it all comes together with the weather patterns dumping some snow. Looking around the various ski fields today I was glad to see this picture at my local mountain called Lake Mountain.



The mountain was devastated by the Black Saturday fires 18 months ago. Alot of work has been done and still continues to be done to get the area back up and running. I did ski there a little last year but the season was poor for Lake Mountain and the town of Marysville was nothing but rubble after the fires and was in the process of restoring basic amenities last winter, hopefully a better season this year.
One of the new things being built up there at Lake Mountain is a trail system for mountain bikes and I believe there will be a enduro race there in October. Looking forward to that if I can squeeze it in with the SSWC in NZ.
Not much else to say at the moment, seems like the world of blogging from the folk in Melburn has fallen by the wayside. Maybe its the weather, maybe people are just too busy. Me.... I shall continue, although a bit sparse of exciting news as I have been off the dirt, although keep checking back for the preparation of the upcoming cross races. I shall spend some time getting Big Red sorted.
Commuting is still keeping the legs rolling over, and me amused. I have noted that since the police found a dead body on my commute route in the Doncaster park lands the pedestrian traffic has been pretty low. Good for me and fellow commuters not so good for the poor sole murdered. Still don't understand why people walk around in the dark with out a torch or some reflective clothing..... I have had a few close calls with pedestrians in the dark dressed like ninjas in black.
I must say the the ride each day is good for the brain as I get to process the days work and chill, plus it is keeping me sane and fits well with family commitments. The weather is not bothering me too badly, mud guards are a dream for keeping me dry most of the time and the wool jersey & 3/4 roubaix bibs from Assos are doing my climate control well at 0530 in the morning. Cant do much when you get caught in a down poor but I must say rolling in the rain is great, as long as you have the right kit.
In other news Chris Winn has been proving himself on the road in the US with a nice result at the Mt Hood race last week. Check his adventures out here.


Chris providing some smack down at the race!

Last thing I will leave you with is some words by HG Wells as I return to a coffee, toast and the paper and watch the rain from the warm comfort of the kitchen!
"Everytime I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the human race"

Happy trails!

No comments: