Sunday, November 21, 2010

form.... I ain't got it

So, with illness behind me I ventured out a few times this week to get my show on the road. Its amazing how quick time flies by with it a month since I was in NZ. I have done little since then, and boy it shows.
I decided first ride back would be the Fattie's ride. With some replaced drive train on the geared 29er I was keen to get the legs and lungs moving. The 10 speed XT was sweet and smooth, how a drive train should be. The legs and lungs not so.
We entered Dickie's loop, me bringing up the rear, taking it as quick as I could comfortably. Half way through the loop.... BAM I was airborne. I went up and came down hard over the bars after clipping my pedal on a hidden log. The grass in the loop was as tall as me on the bike. Cool fun to ride through but it can hide some nice obstacles for you to hit. My camelbak bladder blew apart on landing, water pouring out, guess it saved my back. I laid there for a few minutes taking stock of the alarm sensors ringing through my brain. I was winded, but it seemed nothing broken apart from my pride. I picked myself up and limped out of the loop, the group waiting for me. I decided that maybe it was best for all that I head home, as I was feeling slightly fragile after the fall. I have a few bruises but nothing major, I was a bit stiff the next day.
I headed out to Lysterfield yesterday for a roll around the trails, I had not ridden it since the first Chase the Sun back in May. It had been closed for part of winter due to the sheer wet and mud factor, the trails were already rutted out then. I thought that there had been some maintenance done over winter, but needless to say little had changed. What had changed was the trails now have massive mud pools up to 3 metres wide in spots. Whole sections of trail are now not able to be ridden. I have heard that the park is going to get some trail works done soon, it needs it and it needs more trail to balance the volume of riders using the network. I don't think I will head back for a while, as I have better trails close by to here that I may be slightly over but at least they are intact and you can ride them. I still plan to go and do a few dirt crits to sort me out and give me a bit of fun racing.
I have commenced a new plan to get my kilometers done, as the Alpine is fast approaching. More than anything I need consistency, which since the birth of Grier and the Bosses return to work had been challenging. For the moment I am trying to get out early for a local loop on the road bike. Sure its a early start @ 0530hrs but it should provide me with some consistent days on the bike that fits in with the family and work commitments. Today I felt like the fat man, unfit, pedaling squares going nowhere slowly. This will improve, slowly, but man the countdown is on and I need to get it sorted.
Time to plan some longer days in the saddle, with some decent bergs in preparation for the Alpine in January.
Happy trails!

No comments: