Monday, April 11, 2011

Bright 6 hr

So Bright is done and dusted. I would have to say it was a taxing but fun course that in the end got the better of me.
Ryan Moody and I headed up Friday for the 2nd round of the enduro series. I was geed up for a good one as I love the area and the few trails I have ridden before.
We pitched the tent and geared up for a pre ride of the course in summer conditions. We followed the single track of Morse's Creek out of town and onto the course. I was rockn a decent gear equivalent to Ryans 2:1 and feeling comfortable on it. Only 1 major climb on the course and I decided that I would sacrifice a climbing gear for one more suited to the flat and rollers. This was my undoing.
I found after 3 laps I was in struggle town and then decided a mid race gear change was on order. I was cooked and tried a few more laps on a lighter gear but the back and arms were cramping. So I packed it in at the 4.5 hr mark.
I am happy with the race but should have listened to my internal voice about my initial gear choice. My limited bike time shone through at the 3.5 hr mark, still I am happy. The constant out of the saddle acceleration required in the rolling tight trail took it's toll.
Highlights of the race would be the trails in the pines on awesome loamy soil that you could rip. I did have a small encounter with a tiger snake. He got right of way without argument.
A big thank you to the Alpine Cycling Club for running the event... It was a very friendly event.
Where to from here?.... Get some quality kms in so I can hopefully conquer the next six at the you yangs.
Happy trails!

No comments: