Monday, June 6, 2011

Sick.....

So the fourth infection in as many weeks has resulted in me supine on the couch until further notice. The cough is bone jarring and the results glow in the dark..... enough said. The final nail in the coffin was a trip out to some new trail on Saturday, I was in two minds but the weather said yes but the body only maybe.
Whilst maybe not new for some it was a experience to me with it being the best trail I have ridden in ages. It was a sweet location and it was nice to get out amongst nature again. One encounter with a 3 point Samba deer made me realise how much riding we have close to town that can be spectacular.
Now I have made a promise to not divulge the location on the web as it really is special and after watching Smiths become more and more popular I want to keep it low key. If by chance you find the location then enjoy it for all it is worth, I did and I cant wait to get back. Being a man true to his word I will keep it secret and maybe take some people out there.
The only issue I had out there was a loss of one front brake pad. I found this slightly odd (makes you realise how important a front brake is for stopping) but still enjoyed the ride with out a front brake. When I took the time to investigate what had occurred I found that the piston no longer had the ability to hold the pad in the correct position. It appears that the nipple on the piston has sheered off. So off to the drawing board on this.... new elixers maybe?
The other finding from this ride is that it is time for some mud shedding tyres. After several winters that qualify for a damp summer it has become apparent that mud tyres are a must for this winter. Looks like I will be running the Panaracer Rampage 2.35 (hope she fits in the frame, Niner say a 2.4 fits!) front and rear. Looking forward to a tyre that bites in and allows one to rip it in slim slick trails. Jase from Epix always recommended these tyres so I will give em a go.
So back to the feet up position drugged to the eye balls.
Happy trails

Oh and I am looking forward to seeing the full video of this with local boys starring from Melburn.... makes you want to get out there in the distat high country again next summer!

Rapha Australia rides the Victorian Alps teaser from RAPHA on Vimeo.


Happy trails!

3 comments:

ben said...

Hey Cam, you can get spares for the elixir brakes. replacing the piston is pretty simple and not too expensive.

unless you need the excuse to buy new brakes... then its really hard and not worth it.

cheers

ben

Mak said...

its the juicy that had shat itself and me feels its time to update. Tired of carrying 2 sets of pads!

ben said...

ah, agree. upgrade time. elixirs are heaps better