Saturday, January 26, 2008

missing knicks & a bruised pelvis

OK I had a thought last week and that was I need to have a bit of intensity before I go to the US to get the heart and lungs going. I found out that geelong MTB club were having a twilight race series at the You Yangs. Now I convinced some brothers in arms to come down to share the experience. An experience it was.
We arrive and find out that Mister Sister has not packed his knicks and is going to have to race in his shorts (he, he, he what a fashion statement it was). The next thing was that Mister Sisters bike had a mechanical rendering it effectively a 3 speed.
So we line up for the race and I get a good start in the top 10 heading into the single track (I am the only single speeder) and get a good rhythm going. So there I am smashing along the single track following the wheel of some dude who is mashing a massive gear. I finally get past him with a short cut through the scrub on a corner. I am then chasing the next guy and making up some distance. I was happy with how things were going to say the least. The surface down there is a sandy gravel over hardpack so it can be a bit skatey coming into the corners which was a bit of fun. Now being a big bloke I noticed that some of the trees were getting close to the bars.....hmmm trouble brewing! I came through a corner and somehow managed to clip my bar forcing me to highside myself. Smackdown is a expression I will use for this (houston we have impact!!!!!) I landed clean on my right hip. No slide just smack!...... Pain was coursing through my back hip and pelvis. The guy behing me tried to run over my legs (lucky for him I was on the ground unable to help him off his bike)....thanks for coming! I managed to get up and stand but almost puked with the pain. After a few minutes of convincing myself all was good and that I had not broken anything I got back on and rode the rest of the lap... I pulled the pin at the start finish line and poceded to lie down in the car. Needless to say I am wrapped that I can walk cause with the up coming trip to the US/ Canada next week I would have chucked a mental at myself for not being able to go.
Today I have a fine imprint of the trail on my arse and can see exactly where every stone lays on that single track. Walking is troublesome with the feeling that I am constantly being kicked in the nuts!!! Hey thats bike racing and shit happens.
Happy pedaling

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cam,Would not of happen if you were on a dualsinglespeed hahahahahhahaha..............see you at the dirt crit brother!.

Mak said...

proberly wont be there tonight....depends on the pelvis, might come and watch