Saturday, March 14, 2009

re-schooled

Today I joined the Felt boys and there friends for a pedal around Lysterfield for a early (7am start) pedal. I am still getting the bike legs back and have had a couple of decent rides this week including a pedal up the Nongs. Nothing prepared me for the lung exploding lap today.
Now these boys are not slow and from the get go I was so far behind the 8 ball (note to self... bigger gear and more go fast juice) and was chasing wheels from a distance. As kind as the guys were at waiting for my rather slow large carcass I was truly re-schooled it the art of riding a bike fast, up and down the hills. Ben Randall showed off his descending skills near the rock garden making up his own route down over some large rocks. By the end of the extended lap of the Lysterfield area I was delirious and hypoxic and at least once was heard to mutter the word derailleur to myself that was over heard by Jase from Epix who heckled me for it. Common sense will prevail and I will continue my simple single speed lifestyle.
Photos will no doubt appear on the Felt Epix site with a story or two including Jase and Ben's big wet adventure ride home.
I guess the moral to the story is that you get use to riding at your own speed, when you have only yourself to compete against!
Hey it was nice to have company even if I needed a lung transplant post ride!
Happy riding.

No comments: