Monday, June 1, 2009

CTS notes of pain

Yesterday saw me take in the sights of Lysterfield for 5 hours in the 2nd round of the CTS series put on by Full Gas Promotions. Gav joined me for the day but was spectating from the sidelines post his eye surgery. It was a early start, but those who rise early get the worm (something like that anyway). We got a prime spot to set up near the trail to feed me and not to far from the amenities.
It was a typical Melbourne Autumn's day with fog and a bit of heavy dew leaving moisture on the trail making it perfect and tacky. I eventually got organised, kitted up and ensured the bike was right to go, and that I had everything.
Off to the race brief for the news of the start and the plan for the day, then it was time to line up. After much confusion the 300 odd start group lined up for a quick dash along the dam wall roads in various directions to get the riders spread out before the single track.
The usual madness of the first lap ensured that I would run cyclocross style to get round people caught up in the single track. I found my pace and was tacked on the back of a group and exchanged spots a few times with various riders. The great thing was the course change had taken out a big piece of fire road which meant it was going to be more competitive for the single speeders.
There was the usual argie bargie, one guy tried to come round me and was leaning into me so I gave him a flick of the elbow and he backed off. I am all for passing but let me know and don't try it with a approaching tree on the trail side. Saw a couple of spectacular falls on the first lap. One guy opted for a line everyone else avoided on the Red Gum trail and he hit a piece of rock and then shot across back towards us all over the bike and into a tree.
After a reasonable first lap I came through the finish shoot and headed back up towards the road. I pulled back on the bars to lift the wheel onto the road and snap! My bars were in two parts. I was a bit perplexed, and then headed back to the start line with my bike on my shoulder. Lucky was a word that passed through my brain a lot for the rest of the race as I thought about where in the course the bars could have failed. One lesson to be learned here is if you have a big off involving your bars, change em!
Anyway Gav and Marty (my fellow side burn fan) where at the start line and as Trail Mix was open I was in luck that they had a bar that would do the trick. Gav handed over the cash and Marty got on the tools to get me back up and running. I was amazed that I only lost 15 mins with the whole drama and then I was off and going.
The race continued and I found it to be a fun course as I haven't ridden the trails out there much of late, so boredom wasn't a issue. I eventually got 5 laps done, had the potential for a 6th but opted out as I was rooted and in need of a coffee. It looks like I had a average day coming in 51st out of 90 odd solo men. If I had not had the bar drama and had something a little more in that tank I may have gotten 6 or even 7 laps in. I am happy enough with the result but man solo does your head in a bit!
Gav and I rounded out the day with a few quiet ales and a bit of shooting the shit. I will post some photos soon as I can and a little video.
Now it is time to get on the road bike with the Brisbane to Noosa 160 km ride in a few weeks and get some road miles in the legs. Also with the ski season likely to get started in a few weeks I also need some specific ski training (I hear the sound of roller skis and some running).
The forks on the mountain bike blew a seal yesterday so time to get that fixed and will most likely pull down the whole 29er and give it a big clean up.
In other news, it is amazing that people read these blogs, and I was amazed to have people comment on this blog whilst out racing yesterday. Cheers for reading these ramblings, and good luck to those who love to ride their bikes!
Happy trails!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I said g'day and asked about your blog while following you on some singletrack.

Nice description of the day and a good effort. I think I would have been a bit cautious after the handlebar incident!

Matthew Tait said...

Is there anything on a bike you are yet to break. You should approach bike manafacturers to do product strength testing :)

Are you road or MTB on Sunday?