Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Back on Big Wheels


Yesterday with near perfect riding weather (not to hot, not to cold, just right!) I met with my favorite NZer for a pedal on the 29ers. Gav is a bit of a hard arse and likes to push me a bit to ride nasty old hills. We met out at Smiths Gully General Store for a jaunt around the trails.
I was feeling a bit empty still since Saturday, but was keen to stretch the legs.
After riding some of the new trail that has been cut he got me to ride up a nasty old trail to Mine Shaft road. This trail climbs gently for a little way and then boom, up she goes. I was forced to walk it as I have lost a lot of cycling fitness (for riding single speed) during the ski season. Only way to fix this is get on it more now that the ski season is over. With some large rides on the horizon I best get them legs turning.
I took the camera to grab some shots but only snapped the ones of the 29ers that is in the title above. Not a bad little camera my Lumix, she grabs nice shots! I also did a little trail maintenance digging some drainage slits in the various large puddles that were hugging some of the single track. Better to get the water out than riding around it so the trail stays tight, shame more people don't do this to stop trails getting rooted - Lysterfield is a prime example!
We finished up the ride with a burger for lunch at the Smiths General Store. Sweet burgers, home baked rolls and packed with fresh goodness. A few javas and a nice chunk of sun time on the veranda, to shoot the shit with Gav. A perfect end to a great arvo.
In other news, the route for the next Epix is getting sorted tonight, yes its on Grand Final day but for those coming we have a end spot perfect for watching football.
I have discovered that I am in 10th spot for the Australian Ski Chase, with one more round to go that I am not contesting. I hope that I will hang in there in 10th spot. I am pretty happy with that result and it gives me something to improve on next year. It shows me the persistence and consistency (consistant bad skiing on my behalf!) pays off in the long run.


Anyway time to go as I am on yard duty, got to get the green thumb going to clean out the garden of weeds and give it some love!
Happy trails

No comments: