Friday, March 12, 2010

busy week

This week has flown by. We had a busy weekend with a trip up to Rheola for a family reunion and boy the weather was bad both there and here in Melbourne. So after Saturdays shenanigans I didn't get much done on a bike till yesterday with a trip up the Nongs again. Time is coming down on the climb so I guess that means the fitness is coming together again slowly. Picked a pearler of an afternoon with blue bird sky and a little wind.
The dog kept me busy this week with a very expensive trip to the vet emergency centre in the middle of the night. She is coming good so that is good news.... poor thing she was in dire straights with gastro on Tuesday and Wednesday, thus I missed the Fatties on Wednesday night. Then to cap off the week I have had the ducted heating unit blow itself and it is more economical to get a new one installed so you can imagine the expense of that! When it rains it poors as they say.
I had a parcel from my friends in the US via fed ex with my new mtb bar and Thomson stem. I picked up one of these babies from Edge at a bargain price. After a bit of hacksaw shortening she is on and the Pig is ready to roll again! I would almost say I have completed bike with its final spec some 12 months after putting it together and swapping out pieces as they fall by the wayside. She is now a bit of a blingle speed, but I love riding it.
After the wheel issues of last weekend I was in the market to replace the aged hubs I was running. In the end Mario came up with a solution. He new that there were some 29er wheels brand new but old stock hanging at a store near his place which had come off his 29er when he bought his Fisher and upgraded the wheels. They were a pair of Bontrager Rhythm 29er wheels silver in color and came at the right price. A big thank you to Mario with the assistance in picking these babies up, should be a sweet ride. The only issue I had was getting the tyres to bead up as they are tubeless rims and I am running tubes. It was a fair struggle (a 2hr battle, making me sound like a fair amature) and should have hit the service station to aid in the seating of the tyre with the compressor. I am to be convinced about tubeless under someone my size on 29er wheels, however at least I have the option to try it if I want.
Going to get out today on one of the 29ers for a spin of the local trails and try out the new swag of stuff, my last for a while until the kitty comes back up after the other big ticket items this week!
After the stories and photos from Jase at Epix about the Mt Buller trails, I am planning to try and get there before winter comes for a roll. I should try and do it before I line up for the Marathon Champs, the trails look sweet and very worthy of a road trip.
Happy trails

No comments: