Thursday, March 18, 2010

das mountains

So spent the last few days having a bit of R&R up around Bright with the family and yes I took a bike. I decided on the road bike so I could tackle at least one of the Alpine climbs whilst being up there.
Monday saw me roll gently from Myrtleford to Bright to get the legs ticking over cause on Tuesday it was going to be my big ride day. I got dropped off before Mrytleford so I could take my time and work out the kinks from the drive up. What great weather I had for the pedal to Bright, little wind and 27 degrees, and little traffic. The hour ticked by fast and I met the ladies at our accommodation, which is a favorite on the back road to Wandilagong.
I headed to the brewery to check out the brews and ponder my choices for Tuesday, as Bright has 3 reachable climbs, Hotham, Buffalo and Falls Creek, its just a decision on which to choose. I elected for Falls Creek one way with Tam and Grier to meet me near the top.
Tuesday saw me head off mid morning, I was geed, I had bars, fluids, money, phone etc so it was a good day. The weather was blue bird perfect and balmy. I trundled out of Bright, little traffic and a bit of a tailwind. The first obstacle of the day was going to be Tawonga Gap which is a gentle (not) climb out of the Ovens Valley and into the Kiewa Valley which has Mt Beauty township at the base of the climb towards Falls Creek. It took me around 50 odd mins to climb the Gap, with some nasty 10% gradient I was biting the bars a bit. I felt ok for 10 odd kms of solid climbing. The descent off the other side of Tawonga was fun and fast. I have a bit of history with my junior days racing over this road for the Tour of Bright, I never much liked it and had always climbed it from the other side to reach Bright.
As I rolled down the highway into Mt Beauty i re hydrated and munched some bars, knowing that the next part of the ride would take its toll. I grabbed some water and continued to climb towards Falls Creek. First you have to climb towards Bogong Village which is not that bad, a few sharp stints and a few brief down hill relief sections, but trust me it was keeping me honest. I spotted a few cyclists descending down from Falls with nice smiles and shouts of hello, my look I am sure was greatly amusing as I was starting to hit the wall.
I eventually hit the Keiwa Bridge that is the start of the major climb up to the village. Now Junction Spur from here was really the nail in the coffin for me. Another sharp point of 8 -10 % gradient. My legs were hurting big time and apart from the amusing sight of a bug collector with his net ( no I was not hallucinating), I was in trouble. I could still tap it out but the engine was slowly dying.
I thought about Jens Voigt at this stage and his SHUT UP LEGS quote



It didn't help me but I did chuckle a bit, however once I had reached the Mt McKay power station turnoff I decided that the hill had won. I needed some energy in the tank to descend down to meet Tam at the bridge so I pulled the pin. So after 3hrs, most of which were spent climbing I was happy to be heading back down. I climbed some 1200 metres for the day which is good for me given my hefty frame. I was wrapped to see the car as it came around the bend to meet me.... comfort! Food!
I spent that afternoon eating my way through Mt Beauty bakery and then knocking back a few at the brewery in Bright. It was a perfect way to end the day.
Yesterday I rolled the legs over for a 50km ride around the outskirts of Bright and tripped my way over to the base of Buffalo, another climb worthy of tackling, my junior days reminded me of that bad boy. The sun was out, jersey undone and flapping in the breeze, perfect. Well it was perfect when I headed back to.... that's right the brewery.
So a great couple of days pounding the pedals, sure a few trips to the brewery but hey next to bikes I like small brew houses and there products.
Next few days has me busy with home duties, gardening, but I am sure I will squeeze in some single speed fun to cap off a top week.
Happy Trails

No comments: