Thursday, May 13, 2010

the commute

OK I have bitten the bullet. If I want to get in some bike time with the new family plan, I have to ride to work. I have done this a little from time to time to get in some extra bike time during summer and to miss out on hot weather. I have the ability of a big locker at work and access to a shower with secure bike storage, so really there is no excuse.
I have dropped some mudguards made by SKS on the road bike and I have to say they are a must for pleasant rides in shit weather. Ultimately nothing will keep you dry in pissing rain but in the weather this week the race blades have kept me reasonably dry when combined with a decent jacket and booties. Note to self that the plastic guards don't like being stored in a hot shed over summer as my rear guard has a nice warp in it but I can still use it.
I rode to work Monday being the first day of my early morning commute. It was a bit fresh but I was having fun rocking the road with my helmet Vicious Power Arc lamp and getting into the grove. Tapping it out having fun until I noticed a car coming from my left at a intersection, oh and I was not running a red, I had a green and was in the right. The car was planning on turning left to merge with me, but the guy driving didn't even look nor slow down and powered through a give way sign.

I was staring straight at the guy and his car was lit like a fuckn Christmas tree with a few hundred lumen's, still he ignored me and I jumped into the next lane cause he was on a mission. A bike rider flipping across his bonnet wouldn't have phased this guy. Me being slightly pissed off I launched my protective water bottle and missed him.... just.
So the decision was made that the next day of commute would be down the bike path. I normally try and avoid bike paths as previous experience has proven that pedestrians, dogs and bikes mix poorly. I will say that despite there being a quite a few people out for a early morning jaunt along the path it was a better option than being scuttled on the road by dick head drivers.
So I now have my route perfected and have a few options for some extra hills to tack on at the end to keep the lungs feeling fine and in burning form.
In other news at Big Mak central I am still recovering from my head on the other week with a nasty blood clot and bruising on my leg. I have not been able to run yet as walking on it kills me. I must have struck it on the crank arm whilst absorbing the hit from the other rider and the shin of my left leg came up with a ripper of a egg on it the day after the crash.
Plans are still coming together for a few races before the ski season rolls in, I am still undecided about the Bendigo 3hr but the first Chase the Sun is a goer.
I have been finalising a loop for winter XC riding on the single speed that can have extras added in for some hills in preparation for NZ later in the year. I have to keep the legs rolling over through the cooler months..... guess that's why the commute is important.
I will post some picks of the roadie dressed up for winter soon.
Happy trails!

No comments: