Sunday, May 2, 2010

head on

Had a spill today, head on actually on tight trail. I saw her late she didn't see me but felt me. Robert Crowe nicknamed me "block of flats" on the Hell Ride many years ago, guess he was right. I am no small guy at 120kg and 6 foot 6inches tall, I should have played contact sports instead of riding bikes. The other person involved in the accident was maybe 50 kilos and half my height.
Up until that moment I was having a ball out on the 29er SS cruising the Yarra Trails. It was perfect overcast, cool tacky trail weather. Only a few others out on a Sunday afternoon. I actually passed this rider earlier in the ride on my way out on my loop.
I would have to say my biggest fear was having a head on as I know of others who have had them along the hedge row like mazes in various parts of the Yarra Trail system.
Basically I had gone through a culvert and popped back up onto the trail and just turned a blind corner and saw the other rider heading towards me. I lock up and swung my hip and shoulder towards them bracing for the impact. I don't even think she got her brakes on as she was head down (I think) and bore head first into my shoulder. She went flying over her bars into the bushes on the side of the trail. Me, I was left standing and looked down at one very stunned person groaning. Patricia as I discovered her name early on was grabbing her leg and knee. After a inspection of the area I noticed quite a nasty gash that would most likely require some sutures at hospital. My biggest concern was getting her mobile and out of the area. After a bit of sorting out I got her to the bike path and offered her some company and assistance back to her car some 4 odd kms away. Her leg was bleeding quite fast with the pedalling so she took off her undershirt which we strapped around her leg. After a bit more recovery on the bike path she said she was feeling better and would make her own way back to the car. I felt rather poorly after the whole incident, not cause I was injured (a few bruises, reminds me of the days playing contact sport) but because as the result of hitting me she was bleeding and in pain. Luckily it was a fairly low speed impact as it could have been far worse.
I discovered before she left that she too works at the Austin Hospital.... I will be following her up later in the week as it is the least I can do. I would have to say we left each others company on a positive note both apologising and not accusing each other for the accident.
Shit way to end the day!
Happy trails

No comments: