Saturday, May 29, 2010

time is flying

Another week has slammed past me, it seems like only yesterday it was Christmas. Winter is knocking on the door, although not really cold yet my attention is beginning to turn towards the thought of skiing. I have been a bit lazy and not roller skied this year, finding the time is another with a new family member zapping that. Running is on the cards now that my leg has finally healed, and I am still yet to make it to the gym.
Commuted to work on twice this week as the group set is playing havoc with its death groans, 8 years is nothing to cry about but you never want massive purchases. 1 snapped Dura Ace axle in one rear wheel with a more than likely 6 week wait for a spare as Shimano Australia don't have one in stock. Getting the part needed to sort out my shifter has fallen by the wayside as it too is out of stock. The other hub had to get sorted and rebuilt this week. Bloody frustrating I tell you as finding cash to buy some new 7900 Dura Ace is looking unlikely for the moment. I spent a hour down the LBS and many more surfing the net for some options. With 7900 being at least around the 2K mark (frankly me thinks Shimano are kidding them selves with the price) I am liking the sound of some SRAM Force. I don't need the Red and think the Force will keep me more than happy for my commute and a few side trips up the Nongs or around Bright. I am seriously considering a swap to compact with a straight block at the back. I do like the look of Campagnolo Chorus but it will need some new hubs. At least I can continue to use my current wheels to get me through cheaper options. Anyway I have managed to get the bike back on track and will continue to weigh up the options as I commute. The shifter just needs to last a few more weeks and then I will be happy to find some new gruppo.
I headed over to Lysterfield to pick up the race number and give the course a loop. I will have to say that she is going to be muddy and I am glad I am running single cause I can hear the dollar signs getting ground up as people roll around in that grit tomorrow. I have opted to run with what I have brung which is 32:17 which will keep me honest in the hills but sweet on the open fire roads sections. My race plan is simple..... race the course, not people and have fun. If the fun stops so will I and kick the feet up.
Happy trails!

No comments: