Sunday, July 25, 2010

Dirty Deeds CX 2

After organising a day off to attend the 2nd CX race, I had it almost revoked at the 12 hr after a phone call from work. For a few moments I thought I was going to be putting the bike on the car and heading home for a change of clothes.
The day could not have been any more perfect with sunshine and a sweet course that would keep even the best honest. I have been impressed with the 2 events so far and the organisational detail. I really believe that this will take off next year and we may see a few more CX races organised for winter.
I signed on and scored the lucky number 13. It got the upside down treatment when being pinned on to ward off evil. I rolled a lap of the course and was glad I had lightened my gearing as the ground was soft. The course was great with a few barriers to jump in front of the pits and a run up on the backside of the course with some nice off camber descending to keep your attention.
Grover was rocking his red Cathy Freeman inspired out fit. Bloody funny to see him racing in it, but he won the all comers and then backed it up with a borrowed CX bike and ran high in the CX race.
Me I had a blast, hit the red line from the start and from there, it was all down hill. I did have a few good laps and got the dismount run jump thing down pat, there is still always room for improvement.
The crowd was hefty and cheered all on especially on the hill, I had a few of the boys cheering me on at various parts of the course. At the 40 min mark I was fried and pulled the pin. Mallachi sorted me with a beer, which slid down at record speed. I watched the last couple of laps and the front runners nail each other for the win.
First barrier of the CX start and as you can see nothing but bottle neck. An awesome afternoon of fun in the sun and mud. Some 60 plus riders lined up for the CX race and at least 30 for the all comers.
Dyon taking on the barrier just before the hill run.

The race had proven one thing to me, that is my lack of fitness. Despite riding to work, XC skiing a little and keeping some base fitness, I have no speed ability. I am going to need to work on this for NZ in October for the SSWC. It was a bit of a wake up call really, time to get it sorted!
Happy trails!

3 comments:

cam streistermanis said...

Awesome to see some CX in Aus.......you look like you are having a blast!!!!cant wait to give it a burl next year!!

neil said...

I firmly believe there is no one who thinks they have enough speed.

Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.