Thursday, July 22, 2010

wish I was there

Stolen from Andy Newell's blog on fasterskier

I wish I was there doing some solo km's. We were hitting the same trails around this time last year @ Snowfarm. Strange place, no trees but awesome area for the only nordic in NZ. Might even try and get back there next year.
Life has been pretty good with a bit of riding, sure its part of the commute but getting the fix done always makes me a happy little camper. Been wet and cold but hey that's winter.... the cold and wet weather gear has been getting a fair bit of use at the moment. With some mud guards, decent light, quality winter kit and a solid set of tyres the commute has been a real joy even in the shit weather that Melbourne can throw at you.
I need to get out on the MTB as I have not had a solid dirt episode since the first Chase the Sun. The dirt skills will be lacking me thinks!
Skiing is coming along as I have had the ability to get up to Lake Mountain a few times in the the last week. We took Grier back to the snow today and the session an absolute killer, it kept me honest dragging the Chariot around in wet snow. At least the Chariot did its job and kept Grier out of the weather which was drizzle with a bit of wind. Snug as a bug inside that little cocoon, as she slept for a large part of the ski. As for me pulling tht extra weight has me in the red zone and the hurt box on some of the climbs that I usually cruise up.
Sunday I had a decent hit out split between Classic and Freestyle. The intervals hurt a lot but in a good way! Trying to find a secluded spot with some classic tracks was had but eventually I found some space.
Going to make the effort to hit the trails next week at Falls Creek, as I need a distance hit out... sure I can get it at Lake Mountain but its always nice for a change. Will have to watch the weather and see if it will all eventuate.
Unfortunately the Australian Ski Chase has been cancelled due to the poor conditions. Shame cause it was a great event last year that I enjoyed enormously. Still hoping for a big cold outbreak to secure the Hoppet this year.... time will tell with still 5 weeks till the event.
Happy trails!

No comments: