Thursday, July 8, 2010

Getting the ski legs

Getting the ski legs done is always a bit of a test. I have been procrastinating for the last few days about whether to go or not, do I wait for more snow. Then I saw some web cam shots, procrastinated some more and then this arvo I bit the bullet and got in the car with the kit and drove up to Lake Mountain. A favourite of mine even when it is still so scarred from the fires. Great to see it coming back to life with the forest sticking with new snow gums.
I really didn't know what to expect as there is not heaps of snow at the moment. After getting the low down from the staff about the best trails to hit up I kitted up and headed up the hill. The body seems to be in better shape than I expected. I made it up to Echo Flat with out busting a sweat. The snow from Echo Flat on was hard to fault, sure there were a few spots that were thin or had a obstacle poking through, but nothing impeded my ski. The snow up top was spot on and all I needed to blow out the cobwebs and get the body back into the swing of XC skiing. I would have to say it was really good for the soul to get out there and give myself a little hurt and see if the muscle memory would click in to gear.
All I need now is more snow...... hopefully a bit will come in the next week.
Happy tracks!

No comments: