Sunday, September 12, 2010

Mr Repairman

Well its been a busy few days. Winter has taken a toll on my bikes, thing is the more of them you have the more servicing you have to do. Now most bike servicing is common sense, keep it clean and the bike will love you back. I have most tools, only a few I don't which means a bit of car travel to get stuff done. I will say that I am probably a better nurse than bike mechanic, but persistence pays off....
My 29er single speed needed alot of love, I didn't ride it through winter as I skied alot so I thought it wont need to much. I checked the chain.... rooted, front chain ring.... rooted, bottom bracket... rooted, front brake needed a bleed.
Luckily I had a spare White Industries 32 tooth chain ring, but I had to travel to see Dan @ Shifter Bikes as he has the tool for my bottom bracket. Now I love my Phil Wood BB, apart from when it shits itself. Dan had it sorted in about 20 mins with new cartridge bearings, new chain slapped on and then we diagnosed some worn rear hub bolts, and a broken chain tensioner.... easy fix, just a quick stop for a few bolts at the local bolt shop.
Dan's workshop is worth a visit for some quality gear and wheel building, awesome little place with a no fuss approach. See his website for info.
I needed to bleed the front brake.... should be straight forward. Avid Elixir CR brakes.... easy to bleed... not for me, despite 5 attempts the level would depress to the bar. After a late night email to Ben Randall for some gun bleeding advice he gave me the secret tip. Turn the bike upside down.... extra air will come out... hey presto done!
So after some 7 hrs in the shed I had cleaned and sorted the single speed, cross bike, geared 29er and started my road bike. The road bike is still not finished but its going to be a wet week here so I am not in to much of a rush to clean it right now. I had to replace a rear axle that only took some 3 months to come from Japan for my Dura Ace 7800 hub. After a complete rebuild by the LBS she runs like a dream again.
Got in some quality time on the bikes this week. I have had 2 long rides doing the double up and over of Mt Dandenong. Had great weather for those 2 rides, good enough to be sitting out in the sun having a brew @ Ripe in Sassafras. The area is the stomping ground of Chris Winn when he is not in the US ripping up the domestic road scene. Great twisty narrow roads through some of the best forest doing around close to Melburn! Perrins Creek road is sorting me out with a couple of 14 -17% pinches in the climb. I have bought a 11-28 for the Alpine Classic in Jan 2011 and it was a dream for climbing that nasty hill.
I also headed out on the 29er SS and hit the local area for some choice, but wet trails. Another 2 hours of torture, pushing the lungs and legs to their limits. Great to be out on the single speed rolling simple, and loving it. The elbow held together not to bad, so I still may keep it rigid for worlds. Next weekends Grinder Man Epic may prove to throw the elbow some curve balls. Will have to see how the arm pulls up post that ride of 80 km's.
Today is the last day of my holidays and its been a good brake with skiing in the Aust Birke at Falls Creek, and extra skiing at Lake Mtn. I could still be skiing but I have hung that up for the year and put the skis to bed for summer. Still plenty of spring skiing @ Falls Creek and still a little at Lake Mtn. I would still be out there but needed to get the legs turning in circles in preparation to rip up the trails in Rotorua NZ for SSWC10.
Happy trails or tracks!

No comments: