Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Castlemaine XC race

Sunday saw me try and get back into racing the XC format with a trip up to Castlemaine. I have always wanted to ride up there so couldn't really refuse the potential to find some trails to ride. Only issue was this was a race on private property so I will have to find some other trails in the area if I go back.
Weather was perfect if a little chilly, sun was out and all was good. Caught up with a few people who I haven't seen all year and got organised to check out the course. I took the geared bike but left the mud tyres on. Silly mistake as the area was dry and rocky meaning the Gatos were not in their element which I soon discovered. The course was fun, little climbing really (would have suited the SS) and had a nice sweeping descent. On the recon lap I was having a blast on the down hill and swung into a little technical rock garden decent. Making my way through the garden I some how lost it off into the rocks and hard up against a tree. Must have had some front brake on and the tyres slipped on a rock flipping me over the bars. Needless to say I was relieved that I had not broken anything. Thanks to Bellie and Randal for picking uop my bike and sorry arse from the ground.
Back to the start finish area and into the race. Short news here people with me doing 3 of the 5 laps on offer, the race reinforcing lack of fitness and my dislike of the XC format racing as it is balls out from word go.
This week will see me go back to the Youies for the Geelong Interwinter Series round 3 race. 3 stages, TT, XCO and short XC race. Will be a bit of punishment but hey it can only make you stronger. Should be fun and a change from the norm. The trails have only reopened here after the summer storms 8 months ago.
On holidays so got a few plans for some rides and checking out some trails as well as doing some solid rides on the road.
Happy trails!

No comments: