Wednesday, May 21, 2008

the loop

Well yesterday i did a large loop from my house using the local trails to get over to the Yarra Trail system via Warrandyte's 4th Hill. I took my time and set off at a leisurely pace...(well as fast as a 32:20 gearing would allow) and smashed my way through the 4th Hill area grinding up the hills. I need to refine the route I took as some of it (3km) spent to much time on the road which sucked big time spinning out the gear. I headed over to the Yarra Trail system and completed a loop of the Tikalara Loop and then headed back home via the route of the Felt Epix lads though the Mullum Trail system. Needless to say the first 2hr plus ride nailed me a bit, but left me with a grin on the dial. I have only recently started using such a low gear and cant believe that a lot of SS 29er riders (derived from my research on forums) use this gear. It is a bit of a mountain goat gear cause when on the flats you have a to speed of 19km/h which does drive one nuts on a fire trail. Off road it is fine... compromise is what it is all about Reevaluation of the gearing is required to give me some extra oomph on the flats to stop the frustration of spinning out the gear. I will have to do this loop a couple of more times in preparation for the next CTS in a fortnight. Off to the osteopath today for a tune up of the ankle and hopefully back on the roller skis for some flatland training at the end of the week.
get out there and get on it!

No comments: