Sunday, October 5, 2008

done and dusted

Woke yesterday to what looked like it could be a good day. Plenty of rain had fallen overnight and i was sceptical to what might lay ahead at the Yowie race. It was a early start and the car was packed and ready to go. I new Jason would crack when he saw the car with the bike on it and the boot open with all my gear packed in it on his way to work.
Drove down and had a perfect run and got to the Stockyards with plenty of time to spare for a warm up and pre race preparation. Worked out where to pick up my number from and then realised my licence was sitting next to the computer at home. After copping a spray from the person handing out the licences (I am a nice bloke but don't poke the bear! I informed him that I had been pedalling a bike and done the whole licence thing long before it became the new golf, probably where he entered the sport sure anybody is entitled to a mistake and I did offer to pay for a day licence).
Spotted the Baum tent and checked out there single speed 26er that looked all good but there is a greyness around the Baum product (I checked the website when I got home) especially when they have removed the price list off their website due to the financial crisis. You build frames not retirement plans!
Got the kit on and did a roll around to check that the bike was all good. Spotted by some guy who was parked close by said "you are mad doing this single speed" and I replied with "man got the bike here and the derailleur broke so I had no choice!".
Anyway lined up for the start and decided it might be easier to do it from the back cause the first km was on fire trail into a hill and I didn't want to smash it and run out of steam. This was mistake number 1.
So off we went post count down and looking at the 99 and 66 km groups in front I realised that I was at the back of 100 + riders. As we snaked our way along the fire trail there were a couple of falls with people getting tangled together and one rider over shot the corner with no brakes (pity the fool with some of the trails ahead). As we moved to the hill I saw that mistake number 1 was leading to a frustrating effort of passing riders in their granny gears. As they were spread all over the trail I was having to smash it to get around them as they swerved all over the trail. Then the fun started with one guy going down in front of me straight in to the bushes. Me on the other jumped off and stepped over him and decided to run, passing other riders as I went it on foot. Other riders fell as I headed up the trail and I felt like I was dodging falling chunks of space rock. I couldn't hold the frustration and let loose with "get the fuck off your bikes and run cause it is faster and easier than smashing the granny gear".
As I crested the top of the climb I got back on and was greeted with the clogging of the single track entry. The entry and gaggle to get in was busier than Bourke Street Mall in peak hour.
Once making my entry I could see that this descent over some nasty rocks and drops was going to be the end of some of these riders. Sneakers and flat peddles gives me a nervous feeling when following them down a technical descent with large boulder strewn rock gardens. I witnessed a couple of nasty falls one resulting in a broken collar bone (not to mention the familiar sound of air being smacked out of lungs as the body hits the deck). Some of the course was above the ability of some riders judging by the braking and falls and I was glad to get through without getting caught up in falls that I witnessed. The race entry did sell it as a race to suit even the most basic skilled rider - when we entered the downhill trail with rock berms and ladder runs I felt for the inexperienced rider.
Once we had navigated the Stockyards area with a section of new trail that I had no chance of riding we headed over to the plantation side which was fantastic and flowing with some cool berms. I even rode the massive ladder bridge much to the horror of the rider below me. As we navigated the plantation I was able to pick up a few riders and breeze past them. The last section of the course was fire road leading to a large climb. I was passed on the fire road but caught most who passed me on the climb. I was glad to get to the end after the last section of single track. From there it was a short put back up the fire trail and into the finish area.
On the whole it was a great course but the 33km was enough for me. Geelong put on a decent race but there was no coffee cart (I missed my morning heart start) or food vendor that I saw, it was promised in the race website. There was a guy selling helium for your bike tyres....mmmm don't really understand that!
I didn't hang around at the end for long and packed up my gear and got on the road. I dont yet know where I finished (the GMBC website is down at the moment), but it was more about getting the body used to racing again. I reckon I will do it again next year as it was a fun course. I will post a result when I find it out.
Happy trails!

No comments: