Monday, April 19, 2010

2010 Australian Marathon Champs

This is going to be a short post. It is still hurting and quiet frankly I could have hung bikes up after yesterday.
The organiser put on a cracker of a course on and who ever won was truly deserving of a green and gold jersey. The course had 3000 mts of climbing over some 90 kms. It was tipped the the elite winner would take over 5.5hrs to complete it..... Ben Mather proved them wrong in under 5hrs smashing the field. I was overwhelmed at the course and at the first feed took the short route home, this still took me over 4hrs to complete. I was in pure survival mode with a lot of others. I have never humped a bicycle so far, I would have walked at least 5kms maybe even 8kms. I was in never never land by the end. I covered 45kms with a average of 10.7km/ hour..... not one of my better days on the bike.
I travelled up with Matt and the Epix lads with Jason's awesome van, which was one of my highlights for the weekend. At this stage I never want to do a marathon again.... I am sure that is an over reaction to the race yesterday but fuck I thought I was never going to get out of them far hills behind Avoca.
The other guys made it through with some awesome results, something I can only aspire too and at this stage seem far beyond my abilities.
Hats off Rohin for organising a great event that tested all. Only downside was the toilet truck that suffered some mechanical issues and never made it to the event site so there was 4 toilets for some 1000 plus people.
Enough said as I want to block out the memories of humping the bike, of which ran like a dream apart from my attempt at a ghetto front tubeless that failed on Saturday and I changed out for a tube.
I need another coffee!
Happy trails!
I am glad to be heading back to the single speed for a while!

No comments: