Tuesday, April 13, 2010

this shit can be fun after all

Yesterday was how riding a bike should be…. Fun. I figured that it was my last chance prior the Marathon Champs to stretch the legs with a 3hr ride, as I am on night shift this week.
I picked up some rim tape, valves and 1 Saguaro 29 TNT tyre on Sunday from BSC, the other should turn up in the coming days. I have to say that with Jase’s help they were installed in a few minutes with some Spex sealant. I have been apprehensive in running tubeless on a 29er as there are few UST/ TNT tyres available on the market and next to none in Australia. My other concern was setting them up and getting them to run correctly. There have been many a guerrilla attempt by various 29er riders with some success, but I did not want the tyres to be burping and unreliable. I am a big believer of the KISS (keep it simple stupid) principle and want to make sure I get through rides when I can with out mechanicals. Jase set me straight and I have to say I can not believe how good the front end is tubeless and can wait for the back end to be set up later in the week.
I hit the Yarra Trails in a big loop from my place and the trails were gold with nice tacky surface and the occasional puddle. I was having a ball and for once the set up felt good and reliable. I sloshed my way through to the Mullum Valley in a rain storm and added in some extra climbing to get home. It was a great arvo out on some favourite trails.
I have realised the gearing for climbing with those big wheels, the future may see a smaller big ring as a 42 front is big for 29 inch wheels. It would be nice to see a 29er specific high end cassette rather than the lower deore by Shimano as gearing on a 29er needs to be spot on especially when vertically challenged on the trail.
I am feeling more confident that the weekend will be fun, but challenging. It is nice to know that there are a few bail out options, however I am planning on getting all 90kms and 3000 plus meters of climbing done. I think the granny ring will be thy friend on Sunday.
Happy trails

No comments: