Thursday, April 1, 2010

Respect! Its simple

Now I am one who has a bit of a short fuse when stuff pisses me off. I have some moral codes that have been instilled in me, one of which is never leave a man behind. I guess this comes from my days in the Army, but also out of respect for people, no matter what make sure they are okay and let em know you care a little.
You may be reading this and going what the fuck? This rant is not aimed at any one individual but at the group as a whole.
After reading Neil say that he wanted to get the Fatties ride back up and rolling again and putting himself on the line with the statement that he was going to do every Wednesday night come hell and high water I thought great. He wants to get guys out who want to improve, those that are new to the sport to mix with more seasoned guys. Therefore I made the commitment to myself that when possible I would join him.
It was a awesome night and we were all having a good time last night. The speed was on as certain guys have the ability to really smash some of us mere mortals. This is great cause it teaches you to ride faster. One new guy Michael I think was a little put off when he flatted cause after the offer of waiting he said "nah next week".
Now the end of last nights ride pissed me off in no uncertain terms. Some might be faster than everyone else, however when you split the crew and get to a major road, wait and don't cross it and ride off into the dark. I got split from everyone else and had a rough idea of the direction and continued on my way. Make sure everyone is okay and not lying in the dirt in the dark! Pretty simple, its about respect. If you have something to prove pin on a number and race.
Cyclingtips hit the nail on the head when the entry was written about the Patron of the bunch. I realise that it is more directed at the road scene but the principle is the same.
Lets be honest, attitude is everything and if people want to be wankers (trust me there are some stronger words I would like to use) to others that's there prerogative, but karma always comes back to haunt you. Next time it might be you split and cursing, but you know what I will be waiting at the road in the dark!
The ride otherwise was great, a good turn out, a lot on singlespeeds. Trails were in tip top shape apart from that shit smelling puddle that I hit and had me in distress from the smell for the rest of the ride. The bats flying out with a orange full moon in a big sky behind them was a highlight for me as it looked awesome, like a movie set out of a horror film. Neil got his way by finishing with out lights and keeping it real with his no lights before the end of day light savings.
Happy trails

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here here! It is simple.

neil said...

Interesting that you should should mention Michael. I was thinking about him bailing as I rode to work, and concluded that next week I was going to tell him not to be an idiot as we're happy to wait around while things get sorted.

On a side note, I've totally forgotten the name of the young dude in red, any idea?