Monday, April 26, 2010

ANZAC Day 2010



LEST WE FORGET

One of my favourite days of the year was yesterday, where I get to celebrate and remember those who sacrificed so much for those to have a choice in their lives.
Gav aka Snaps and I attended the Heidelberg March and remembrance service. It was a great little service with pipes and drums and a short march around to the RSL post service. Snaps and I had other plans and quickly dashed back to his place for a change of clothes and to head out on the bike. We were meeting the Flathill crew for the Dig Deeper Single Speed Ride. This was my first pedal since last weeks death march at the Marathon Champs, so I was hoping the legs would be happy to join me for a ride. 5 mins into the ride one of my nipples on the front wheel let go, so for the duration of the ride I would have a nice ticking sound on the front. The other problem I encountered was the lack front brake from a air bubble in the line, it soon sorted itself out.
We met up with 5 others for a jaunt out through the Mullum Valley on the single speeds, sweet trail and good weather greeted us. The trails were nice and tacky, the pace sedate which seemed to suit all.
Snaps had some issues with a creek in his bottom bracket and despite ensuring all was tight it continued. As we climbed up a trail in Donvale, his drive side chain stay snapped... (hence the nickname Snaps!) stopping him dead. This is his 3rd Kona 29er Unit he has destroyed. I will say that the build of these frames is some what..... weak. It appears that the forged drop outs are prone to snapping due to the scalloping of the drop out to make them lighter. So Snaps is back to square one without a 1 speed frame, but there might be a offer on the table for a very sweet frame (more on that if it comes off!).
So with a totally rooted frame we were in a bit of a tricky situation, half way around the loop I placed a call to the service course as I live only a short distance away. We bid farewell to the others and got picked up by the boss.
We had a date at the ANZAC Day football at the MCG. We headed back to Snaps for a bit of lunch, shower and a drive to the game. There was 30 odd people from work who attend most years, so great company was ensured. There was the usual mucking about once a few alcohol beverages were consumed. It was a one sided game but after a few beers and some meat pie action we were not fussed. It still amazes me how silent 95000 people can be when they have the service at the start of the game, with the Last Post.
So we got a lot done yesterday, and I would have to say it was a awesome day with all my favourite things covered!
Happy Trails!

No comments: