Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Beach Easter

It was decided to have a family Easter with some of the Cairns Clan from West Oz this Easter. We have had a house in Portarlington, on the Bellarine Peninsula. A great spot for some training on the road bike. The accommodation is a old church called Porthaven and have been A grade in comfort and style.
The area has some world famous riders originate from here including Team Highroads Lee Howard, Sir Hubert Opperman, Cadel also has a summer home here.




The 2010 Worlds are in neighbouring Geelong so if you get my drift, the riding is obviously okay. Plenty of quiet wide roads, hills are not to far away in the Otways, but I have not travelled down there this trip.
I have ridden most of the Peninsula the last couple of days and have devised a nice around the block of 60 odd kms.


View Larger Map

Some nice rolling hills, dead roads and lots of windy areas keeps you honest. The scenery is pretty nice with coastal views and lots of farm land for something to gander at, keeping the mind moving. I am glad that daylight savings is over for another year and that for a brief period light has returned to the early mornings letting me get out with out lights.
My shoulder is currently my only issue for the up coming Marathon Champs, that should get sorted in the next few days, more of the concern is the block of night shift I have to do in the week prior to the race. That cant be helped and I will have to just get on with it.
I know I can do the distance with out much concern, I am sure I will be in the hurt box from the word go, but isn't that half the fun? Cant say I will be racing per say but will be out there having fun none the less and getting through the day. I am still sorting out the KM29er for the race and have planned a few long MTB rides later in the week to get use to the position that Jeff has put me in.
So it is all systems go and hoping that the forecast of rain holds off to let me get out tomorrow for a quick roll of the legs before packing the car for the trip home.
Happy trails!

No comments: