Sunday, July 20, 2008

back to the dirt

Today I headed back to familiar territory. I threw the gorilla on the roof and headed out to Lysterfeild. I was happy to be out and about as I am back on nights for a week. I got up mid arvo and got the shit together, however after driving over to the trail head I realised I had not packed the shoes! (night workers brain fart, it dont work so well when sleep deprived) so I had to head home and grab them. All I can say is thank god for Eastlink (new fwy for OS readers) as it takes about 20 mins less to get to the trail head. So with the shoes and a desire to get out and do some exercise I strapped on the gear and headed out for a loop of the park. It is great to see that the trail fairies have been out and tidy up the lines and put in some drainage to weather proof the trails. The only disappointment is a part of the loop that is in need of some serious trail loving as the rutts and lines are getting bigger and holding more water.
I felt great for the first part of the ride and then the night duty legs kicked in and at times pushing the single speed gear was draining. But a ride is better than staring at the box and laying on the couch and turning the legs over after the week of skiing was a need that had to be fulfilled.
The weather here for the next few days will not be conducive to getting out on a bike so I had to make the most of it. At least the change in weather may mean some more snow which will get no complaints from me or any of the skiers around the place.
I am noticing a trend out in the forest at Lysterfeild and came across the keeper of the single track (see photo). Seems like a few people have been ridding themselves of their child hood toys and pinning them at various points of the single track. I must admit some do make you laugh such as the telly tubby I spotted today.



Anyway time for me to get back to burning the midnight candle and getting some work done.
Happy trails!

P.S for a insiders look at the TDF check out Simon Gerrans blog through his website on the side bar, so far its proven a good read!

No comments: